MV Patriot moved to League City, TX

MV Patriot – Surviving Hurricane Harvey, Part 1

MV Patriot is a 1997 52 foot Jefferson Rivanna, three stateroom, 2 head, galley up with upper and lower helm.

In February 2014 she was slipped at Cove Harbor Marina, Rockport, Texas.  In September 2017, unexpected until a few days before making landfall, Hurricane Harvey came ashore centered over Rockport.  Carolyn and I were traveling out of state when we heard the news – Rockport was shattered and destroyed!  We attempted call after call to contact one of the several Cove Harbor live a-boards.  We scoured the social media sites to learn what we could.  The problem was the entire marina was fenced and posted off limits – do not trespass.  Days went by with no idea of MV Patriot status.  Was she still floating or did she sink?  What condition was she in if she was still afloat? 

Then Carolyn put out a request on Facebook and another boat owner at Cove Harbor replied.  Yes, MV Patriot was still afloat, took quite a hit, but remained in her slipped, still tied. They sent pictures and for the first time we looked at the damage to MV Patriot.

Starboard side damage from when boat next slip came loose. No canvas or vinyl remained, hard top was completely missing off its support and fly bridge instruments were 99% destroyed.

Most instruments on radar arch were damaged or missing.  The only piece of the radar dome was its bottom plate still connected to the stanchion (left side of picture).   Thankfully I had the tender at home and not on the boat.





So we formed a plan to move her to League City.  But first, we hauled her out to check the condition of bottom.  After a little scraping, a good pressure washing, and checking the props she was ready to set course east to League City.

On February 10,, 2018, MV Patriot was moved to Lighthouse Yacht Works in League City, Texas (Seabrook area).   Repairs were estimated to be approximately $156,000.  Insurance paid and repair work began.  Early July Carolyn and I spent several days at the repair yard.  We saw how the repairs were progressing. 

  MV Patriot is on the hard and four technicians are working on her every non-rainy day.  The hard top was completely re-fabricated and the aluminum hard top support was re-bent to original condition.    The radar arch completely de-wired, removed and repaired.  The hull is primed and being taped for blue striping, to be soon followed by a full hull awlgrip paint job.    


Soon, a final bottom job with new anti fouling paint will complete the exterior painting.  The entire fly bridge top assembly will be placed back on the boat and MV Patriot will return to the water for all further repairs.

Carolyn and I hope to return to League City early August to check on progress.  We are anxious to see the repair work on the interior wood damage and discuss fly bridge instruments and placement design.  I’ll keep you posted.

Dave and Carolyn Baltzell (and Barkeley)   











Updates to follow.

Return to Top